Food Buzz

Foodbuzz

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

two for two!

I made it through all my first day jitters and was able to add not one, but both of my classes at GCC today!!

This morning's class was a nutrition course which will probably be pretty good.  The professor has a strong science background so it may be a great deal of "triglycerides" and chemical makeup of food but I think it will really help to know the science behind the food that we eat.  It will give me more knowledge to share with clients, especially those with special diets.  I think the professor has very strong feelings about nutrition...could make for some great debates about vegan vs Atkins vs diet pills!

After my morning class, I took Murphy for a run at the dog park because I knew that he would otherwise sneer at me after spending a total of 11 hours out of the house this morning and this evening.  He had his fun, met a few cute bitches and we headed back home.

Tonight I attended my first Beginning Food Prep course with a professor that I hope I can some day call my foodie friend.  She is going to be a hoot to attend class with (good thing, it's 5 hours a night, two nights a week - I better like her!).  We covered an array of topics tonight from butter (very important ingredient!), measurement conversion (16 Tbls = 1 c) to Michelin restaurants to food inspirations (Noel Robuchon, Julia Child - "Bon Appetit!", the entire Food Channel family) to bucket lists!  She is fun, funny and inspiring and I think she will be  a tough critic and will whip us all in to shape. 

When I have completed this course I should be able to execute all the basic knife cuts, prepare different stocks, prepare the five mother sauces, describe and demonstrate broiling, grilling, baking, sauteing, deep frying, poaching, boiling, braising, etc. plus a ton more. 

I will also have to demonstrate the cutting up of a chicken into 8 pieces.  It brings me back to frog dissection in HS biology.  But will be WAY more fun (and way more tasty!)!!

I am also really excited about our mid-semester field trip - not sure where we are going but if it is food related - I AM IN!

Tomorrow I have to pick up some more school supplies - notecards for all the definitions I'm going to need to memorize, a binder and dividers for all the handouts from Prep class and I will need to source out some inexpensive used textbooks.

Also a tidbit for those in the LA area - Eagle Rock Italian Bakery & Deli makes really delicious cookies - you should stop by if you are in the area.

Chow for now. :)

1 comment:

  1. Today you taught me that there are 16 tablespoons in a cup.

    ReplyDelete