Food Buzz

Foodbuzz

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Spring is in the air!

When I think of spring I think of the farmers market's fresh asparagus and strawberries and bright greens and spring onions.  But one of my favorite spring fruits is lemons!  And with a dinner to attend tonight where I was asked to bring "something sweet," I checked out the lemons in my fruit basket and searched all over the web for a good lemon cookie recipe.  This one just sounded good and I'd like to thank pinchmysalt.com for this great recipe!

Giant Lemon Sugar Cookies



2 C. sugar, divided
Zest of 2 lemons, divided
1 C. butter, softened
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 t. vanilla
1 T. lemon juice
2 3/4 C flour
1/4 t. salt
2 t. cream of tartar
1 t. baking soda


Prepare lemon sugar: In a mini food processor, blend 1/2 C. sugar with 1 t. lemon zest. Pulse several times until the lemon zest is incorporated into the sugar. Put sugar mixture in a shallow bowl and stir lightly with a fork to break up any clumps. Set aside.

Prepare cookie dough: In a medium bowl, stir together flour, salt, cream of tartar and baking soda. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and remaining 1 1/2 C. sugar. Blend in eggs, one at a time then add vanilla, lemon juice, and remaining lemon zest. Add flour mixture, one cup at a time, blending well after each addition, until all flour is incorporated.


Refrigerate dough for one hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Shape the cookies: Using a jumbo cookie scoop or your hands, shape two tablespoonfuls of dough into a ball and roll in lemon sugar. Place ball of dough on cookie sheet and press down lightly with the bottom of a glass until cookie is about 1/2 inch thick. Repeat. Six cookies will fit on one 18″ x 13″ baking sheet.

Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees.



The cookies came out great - i varied the size of the cookie as the first batch came out really large (just like the name of the cookie!).  They are cake-y in the middle, have a nice crunch from the lemon sugar on the outside and have a really nice lemon flavor that I love.  I am sure they will go over well at dinner tonight.

What are some of your favorite things about spring?  Any favorite veggies and fruits?

Chow for now! :)

2 comments:

  1. BLUEBERRIES! Mmmmmmm.... Oh - and tomatoes! WAIT - that is summer... peas? Peas are springy, right? :) When is summer? Funny thing is spring is my favorite season... You think I would have a better feel for its food. I love it when everything comes to life. I love the way it smells and the feel of warm sun after a long winter. I love the sound of a river when the ice is breaking off and flowing down the mountain. I even love dandelions. And the color of new green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blueberries - yes! I have some in my fridge right now! Totally reminds me of Maine.... ah New England. Peas are also spring and out here we get pea shoots too which can be thrown in salads. I love your descriptions. :) I think we take the weather for granted - like we don't have to wait for winter snow to thaw before seeing the grass. Right now so many amazing night blooming flowers are showing their amazing scent. Which is making me sneeze. But it's still beautiful. :) Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete