Food Buzz

Foodbuzz

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Challah back, girl!

Last night I thought to my self...wouldn't it be great to have challah french toast in the morning?  Of course  I didn't want to go to the store to buy bread... nothing ruins a home made breakfast like getting dressed and leaving your house to buy ingredients.  Breakfast is best made and eaten with pjs on.

So, I decided to pull out the bread maker and make challah dough.  This is the first time I made dough without cooking the bread in the machine and it was easier than I thought. 

For those of you who aren't sure what challah bread is, it's a dense, eggy, braided bread that has a shiny exterior and looks like this.  It is typically eaten on Jewish holidays but I love it year round... mostly I buy it because it makes a delicious french toast.

It was a pretty simple recipe other than having to wait for the dough to rise twice (once in the machine, and once after it was braided). 

Challah

makes 1 regular loaf

Bread:
1 egg plus enough 80 degree water to make 3/4 c
2 T vegetable or canola oil
1 1/2 T sugar
1 tsp salt
2 c bread flour
1 tsp active dry yeast

Glaze:
1 egg yolk, beaten
1 T water

Topping:
1 tsp poppy or sesame seeds (optional)

1. Place all ingredients in your bread machine in the order suggested by the manufacturer.  My machine then mixes and rises the dough for 1 hour 20 minutes.

2. Take dough out of machine and place on lightly floured surface

3. Cut dough into thirds and form each piece into a 10 inch long rope with tapered ends.  Pinch together the three ends and braid the ropes, pinching  together at the other end and secure braid.


4. Place the braid on a greased baking sheet; cover and let rise in a warm place for one our or until doubled in size.


5. Combine glaze ingredients and brush onto braid.  Sprinkle with seeds and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until done.

----------------------------------------
I chose to make my bread seedless since I didn't want seeds in my french toast! This is what the finished product looks like:



And this is what my french toast looked like before I gobbled it up:



What is your favorite breakfast treat? Do you enjoy making home made bread?  Feel free to share your favorites here!

Chow for Now!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment