Food Buzz

Foodbuzz

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Hollywood Bowl picnic...part 1

Tomorrow, I am going with my great friend, M, to see Dave Matthews Band at Hollywood Bowl.  For those of you who have been lucky enough to see a show at the Bowl, you know it's a great place to picnic prior to a show.  I thought I would come up with a great menu for the day and I'm still working out the details in my head (stayed tuned for Hollywood Bowl picnic - part 2).  In the meantime, I knew exactly what I wanted to make for dessert.... Black and White Cookies!

I have had these cookies in my head since reading a post on Unemployed Eater's blog and rather than visit the bakery he mentioned (although I will some day), I thought I'd make my own.  I've actually tried this recipe before and really like them.  They still don't compare to Country Boy Bakery's cookies, but I'd have to drive 2,800 miles to get those.  Walking into my kitchen to try one of mine is a much better commute.

This recipe is from Martha Stewart.  I think the most important hint I can give you is to take the cookies out just as the sides start to show a little color.  You want them to be soft and cake-like.

Black and White Cookies

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
2 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder


Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix butter until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add granulated sugar; mix until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in egg and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Mix in flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk.


2. Roll tablespoons of dough into balls (or use a 1/2-ounce-capacity ice-cream scoop); place them 2 inches apart on lined sheets. Bake until bottoms turn golden, about 10 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; let cool.


3. Whisk confectioners' sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl until smooth. If necessary, add more water (icing should be a bit thicker than honey). Transfer half to a small bowl. Stir in cocoa; if necessary, thin with water. Spread white icing on half of each cookie's flat side, and cocoa icing on other half; let set 30 minutes.
--------------
I followed the recipe verbatim... Martha says this recipe makes 4 dozen cookies. I think it might be a typo as I came out with about 2 dozen using her tablespoon measuring method.  Also, I could have used a little more icing so next time would add maybe an additional 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and add to the other ingredients as needed to the icing mixture.
 
Also, I didn't make mine "perfect" like Martha did.. I like my food to have some character. :) 
 
 
These cookies taste better after 24 hours of resting.  Of course I couldn't resist trying one just as it was iced and it was delicious.  Can't wait til tomorrow night!
 
What's your favorite picnic dessert?  Feel free to share here.
 
Chow for Now!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment