Food Buzz

Foodbuzz

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Me love cookie!

Yes, as an homage to Cookie Monster and to national Chocolate Chip Cookie Day (thanks @Foodista !) I decided to make some chocolate chip cookies.  I scoured the internet yesterday looking for "the best" chocolate chip cookie recipe.  I've made the Nestle's Toll House, the Neiman Marcus and the Joy of Cooking recipes, but this time I decided to try one of The Food Network's experts: Alton Brown.  He is the mad scientist of the channel, teaching all of his followers why food works the way it does.  If he doesn't know how to make the best chocolate chip cookie, I don't know who would!

His recipe was different from others for a few reasons.  One - he uses melted unsalted butter instead of room temperature butter (which dissolves the sugar while creaming it, making a smoother batter), and he uses bread flour which makes a chewier cookie.  Also, as the recipe recommended, I placed the mixing bowl with batter in the freezer for 5 minutes before spooning the cookies on the tray.  I imagine this is to help keep the cookies from spreading to wide while baking.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 sticks unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.

Pour the melted butter in the mixer’s work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 11-14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

Makes about 40 three inch cookies
-----------------------
After making these myself, the results are in... this may just be the best chocolate chip cookie out there! It's sweet but not too sweet, they are chewy but still have crunch on the outside.  They are versatile enough that I could have added nuts and I am sure they would have come out great.  I'm certainly not going to say no to another cookie offered to me, but I think I'll stick with this recipe in the future.

Do you have a go to recipe for cookies?  Do you eat cookie dough raw? Please feel free to share your cookie stories here!

Chow for now!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I know this is an old post, but I remembered it yesterday when I had a craving for freshly-baked, homemade cookies. I baked them last night and proceeded to eat about 15 of them right off the cooling rack! They were SO good! So moist and tender, but with crispy edges. This is definitely my new go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe. I thank you, Lisa, for the recipe--although I don't think my waistline does... ;)

    ReplyDelete