Food Buzz

Foodbuzz

Friday, June 18, 2010

Easy, light, spring dinner!

I just wanted to post a couple of photos of what I made for dinner tonight.  I was feeling like I needed some greens in my diet (maybe because I ate nothing but carbs since breakfast) ... of course I ended up pairing the greens with pasta but it was Barilla Plus thin spaghetti which is multi grain and has 4 grams of fiber and 10 g of protein per serving.  It doesn't have that... whole grain taste and is the pasta I always buy.
I started by sauteing one halved clove of garlic and about 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil in a saute pan and after allowing a few minutes for the garlic to infuse, I added two large leaves of kale (chopped, tough stem removed).  I also added a handful of pignoli nuts and a little nutmeg (which I always add to dark leafy greens to complement the earthy flavor of the greens). 

Once the kale was wilted and bright green, I added 1 medium sized zucchini (shredded) and cooked it all down until it was sauce like.


After about 5 minutes of cooking I added 1/2 can of diced, low sodium tomatoes and one tablespoon of basil (I didn't have any fresh on hand so I used - and swear  by Dorot brand frozen basil cubes which can be found at Trader Joe's.).


That's it - Once the pasta was done boiling, I added a small amount of the pasta water to the sauce along with the drained pasta and topped it with a little grated Parmesan.  This is a healthy and filling dinner with good nutritional value for a warm spring night. 



I must share a pic of Murphy stealing a piece of runaway thin spaghetti....


Do you have any favorite "go to" spring recipes that you enjoy cooking?  Please leave me a comment!

Chow for now! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment